Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

When I think of all the things my Dad did for me over the years. I think of the furniture he made me. I wanted a Barbie house (I was thinking the plastic kind from the store seen on TV).  He made me a bookcase with a roof stained to match the rest of the living room furniture. I loved it, no one had a six story doll house. It grew with me becoming a bookcase, now my mom uses it to store her yarns.  He made me a hope chest that I used as a window seat and stored all the treasures Grandma gave and now sits at the end of the bed as seating to take off my shoes and holds my linens.  He made me a bookcase/entertainment center for my stereo when I was in my teens. Mom uses it now for her shoes. Dad made me two laminated bookcases and two rolling storage cubes that match for my home office.  They went to my first apartment in college and now they are in my home office at my house. When I moved  into my house in Arizona he made me three big bookcases in a classic style painted white and trailered them from Michigan to Arizona, along with some other furniture I wanted. Mom and I always joke that Dad makes things to weigh a ton but last a hundred years. I do know that I've treasured the things he made me over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment