Thursday, April 10, 2014

Organization Hints

1.  The other day I was asked by a client if I could help her get more organized.  She asked how I organized my computer files and e-mail files. I told her I have files just like my paper copy file cabinet.  Each customer has a file with a file under that for each project. I set up my e-mail and computer file the same way.
                An example is:
                                Pdesign
                                                LHL
                                                       Whisper rock

2.  My appointments on my calendar sync with my computer, phone and tablet so I can easily see my schedule.  If I put a new appoint on my phone it will show up on the other two devices. (I have Outlook on my computer and have an Android based phone and tablet that use Google calendar that are synced to my Outlook and vice-a-versa.)

3.  I write my to-do-list the night  before. I use it throughout the day to make sure things are getting done. I add to it as changes or different things come up.

4.  It helps to have and in-box, out-box, and to be done file, near your desk.  Each time you pick up a paper,  ask yourself, "What is the next action required for this?" Then put it in the appropriate box.  If no action is required, toss it. I shred anything with my name and address on it (magazine labels, catalog labels, junk mail)

Picture from  http://www.mrswigglebottom.com

5.  Quicken or another accounting software makes it easier to track spending.  You can track when, how much and on what. It also helps my accountant come tax time or for quarterly reviews.  I keep receipts and paid bills in  a basket to be inputted into Quicken.  After they have been entered on the computer, I file them in a 13 pocketed expanding folder (one folder for each year) I use two folders, one for personal and one for business.  They are color coded personal  versus business.

Picture from http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com

6.  Label containers, boxes, etc. to make finding and putting away items easier.   For example, I have a bin of ink labeled ink in my supply closet.
Picture from http://www.organizewithsandy.com

7.   Label and organize magazines in magazine holders. Save only the current year.  Purge old magazines once a year.  Tear out  and scan articles and picture you may want later. After scanning recycle the paper copy.
Picture from http://www.buzzfeed.com

8.  Use an over the door clear pocket shoe rack to organize and easily see supplies in the supply closet like pens, pencils, tape, glues, etc.

9.  Keep electronic cords untangled. Feed them through a hole in the desk top, so you can plug them into a surge protector mounted to the underside of the desk. Keep the cords in a wire basket that's suspended under the desk with wire hooks. Use tags to identify each wire.

Picture from http://decoratingfiles.com

10. Have a bulletin board or magnetic board to hold notes, quotes, ideas, etc. I have a magnetic board that I have little metal containers (found at IKEA) that have paper clips, rubber bans, binder clips, etc. in each container.


Picture from http://decoratingfiles.com

No comments:

Post a Comment